Monday 16 April 2012

Step by Step Flower Tutorial

Hi Everyone!

Today I thought I'd show you what you can do with some of the Pink Paislee Mistables Ribbon.
There are two types in the shop, both use muslin, either a plain scallop in the three sizes, or x2 18" of muslin or jersey knit fabric already pleated.  And can I just say it was really easy peasy to use :), which is great because fabric usually means a sewing machine, ( I do own one but confess I never use it) - which on any given day will see me cringe away from, and find another alternative, or better still find someone to do it form me, grin, Im totally useless on a machine, let me hand stitch any day!

To make my flowers you will need:
x1 packet of Pink Paislee Mistables Scallop Ribbon
Stazon Ink - black
stamps
needle and thread
Glimmermist and/or distress stain
various embellishments
headband, hair clip or safety pin

First you will need to decide how you wish to colour your strips of fabric and how much of each strip you want to use - I managed to make three flowers out of the three strips of fabric, making double layered flowers, but you could get even more out of them but just doing single layers, or smaller sizes.
Spray or ink your strips of fabric and leave to dry.  Once dry you can stamp them.


Take your needle and thread and make a gathering stitch all the way along both strips, about 1/4 of an inch down from the top of the straight edge, leaving a tail at both ends.


Next, hold tight to one end of thread and pull the fabric towards the other end, gathering it all together to form a  flower.


Tie the two ends together, keeping it as tight as you choose. It should look like this when you've finished.


At this point you could just embellish as you wish, or use the bigger size scallop and make another flower, which is what Ive done.


Now you can decorate as you wish. I have sewn my flowers together and then added buttons, twine, trinkets, pins, and a very old prima flower.
Heres what my flowers looked like when finished. The first flower is coloured with Red Velvet Glimmermist and attached  to a safety pin to use as a brooch, on the middle one Ive used Tim Holtz Distress Stain Weathered Wood and attached it to a headband, and the last one used Vintage Pink Glimmermist and attached it to a hairclip. Ive also randomly stamped this one with black stazon ink.





I hope you like them and they give you an idea of what you can do with the mistables range, and show that you are not limited to using them  for decorating  a scrapbook page :) but they have many more possibilities.

Happy Scrapping Everyone!
Megan

4 comments:

michellevo said...

Oh my these are gorgeous - going to give this a try for sure. thank you xx

Rebecca Mosher said...

Love how there are so many fun ways to make flowers, always learning new techniques :) Thanks for sharing, these are gorgeous!

Francine said...

these look fantatsic Megan- i love the stamped one at the end!

Rochelle said...

They look fab Megan, great gift idea and I bet they will look fab as hair pieces!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...